Re: CSS3 @font-face / EOT Fonts

Dave Singer wrote:

> I think there are some things that could be done that would help
> everyone.  One that comes to mind is simply  encouraging sub-setting a
> font when it's embedded on the web.  I have been told that sub-setting
> is disallowed by some (many?) font licenses.  It clearly has the dual

I suspect people who bar subsetting either do so because they don't
understand what it is (the standard block everything then selectively
relax security approach), or they also block re-distribution and
embedding.  Subsetting is, I think, notionally less permissive than
embedding (OK, I know some people don't like calling web fonts
embedding), because, when you subset within a language, the subset font
has limited utility for anything except your page.

--
David Woolley