Re: box-shadow and features (was [css3-background] Issues and Proposed Resolutions)

fantasai wrote:

> Bert and I went through all the open CSS3 Backgrounds and Borders issues
> on Monday. Here are our conclusions. If there are no objections, we plan
> to close the first three categories with the resolutions suggested below
> after next week's telecon. (The last category needs further discussion.)

> Add "spread" value to 'box-shadow'.
>   http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Tracker/issues/41 ISSUE-41
>
>   Resolve: Add "spread" as optional fourth length value after "blur".
>
>   http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/css/20080512#l-503

> Define whether box-shadows are drawn inside the element.
>   http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Tracker/issues/32 ISSUE-32
>
>   Resolve: Box-shadows are only drawn outside the element's border-box.
>
>   http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/css/20080512#l-619

> Inner Box Shadow:
>   http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Tracker/issues/44 ISSUE-44
>
>   There have been quite a few comments about adding such a feature,
>   or at least an "inner glow" feature (which this would address).

If an inner glow/shadow is added (ISSUE-44) to CSS3, the only place for
the inner (whatever?) to be placed is inside the border-box. This box
would have to have a transparent background but this could not happen if
shadows were not allowed to be drawn inside the border-box (ISSUE-32).

Why can't box-shadow be painted the same way as shadows or highlight
occur naturally. How are authors suppose to create depth of field if
box-shadow doesn't work like true shadows or highlights?

How can spread work if backgrounds are always opaque?

Alan

http://css-class.com/test/