Re: CSS Charter

On Mar 26, 2008, at 4:33 AM, Erik Dahlström wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 08:12:23 +0100, Maciej Stachowiak
> <mjs@apple.com> wrote:

>> 2) It would be unfortunate if using a filter intrinsically required
>> inserting presentational SVG markup in your document, or
>> alternately loading an additional external resource, for the filter
>> specification. At least for simple filters it seems desirable to be
>> able to specify them full in CSS without reference to additional
>> markup defining the filter.
>
> Agreed, but what is a sufficiently simple filter?

I'm not really the best person to fully design the feature. But I
think a simple gaussian blur effect is an example of a sufficiently
simple filter.

>> 3) It is not even clear to me if the SVG "filter" property is
>> intended to work with references to external documents. The SVG 1.1
>> spec does not make this clear.
>
> I find SVG 1.1 to be quite clear on this, the filter property value
> can be a <uri>[1] (further described in the uri reference
> definitions[2]). The only restriction is that it must point to an
> <svg:filter> element to be valid. It's explictly stated that uri:s
> can be both local and non-local.

I tried to figure it out from the table here:

http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/struct.html#HeadOverview

The reason it was unclear to me is that a strong distinction is made
between local and non-local references, and some of the properties
specifically say "any local or non-local resource", so I wasn't sure
what was intended for ones that said things like "can reference any
SVG element" or "must reference a 'path' element".

I do not object to your interpretation but it wasn't entirely clear to
me.

Cheers,
Maciej