Re: CSS Charter

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 08:12:23 +0100, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
wrote:

> On Mar 25, 2008, at 11:54 PM, Daniel Glazman wrote:
>
>> Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>>
>>> I hope this information is helpful to the Working Group.

> 2) It would be unfortunate if using a filter intrinsically required
> inserting presentational SVG markup in your document, or alternately
> At least for simple filters it seems desirable to be able to specify
> them full in CSS without reference to additional markup defining the
> filter.

Agreed, but what is a sufficiently simple filter?

> 3) It is not even clear to me if the SVG "filter" property is intended
> to work with references to external documents. The SVG 1.1 spec does not
> make this clear.

I find SVG 1.1 to be quite clear on this, the filter property value can be
a <uri>[1] (further described in the uri reference definitions[2]). The
only restriction is that it must point to an <svg:filter> element to be
valid. It's explictly stated that uri:s can be both local and non-local.

> SVG 1.2 Tiny has a table with lots of clarifications, and many similar
> references to specific kinds of elements are restricted to
> same-document, but the table does not cover filters since they are not
> in SVG 1.2 Tiny. In practice popular UAs often restrict such references
> to same-document.

For reasons of simpler implementation sure, but it comes at little or no
additional implementation cost when supporting the external references in
svg in general.

Cheers
/Erik

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/filters.html#FilterProperty