Re: CSS Charter (Apple's Wishlist)

On Mar 25, 2008, at 10:42 AM, David Hyatt wrote:
> Here is a list from Apple regarding what we would like to see within
> the scope of the CSS WG's charter.
>
> - Transforms (2D and 3D)
> - Transitions
> - Animations
> - Filter effects
> - Audio and Video-related media queries

For what it's worth, as someone who would be involved in implementing
many of the above-listed features, I hope that those items will become
within the scope of the CSS WG charter.  There are potential problems
and pitfalls there, especially when it comes to interaction with other
CSS-based layout, but the CSS WG seems like the best place to find the
full set of knowledge necessary to coming up with solutions to those
problems.  The pieces listed are all fairly lightweight, and would add
greatly to the expressive power of CSS on the web.

As was pointed out, there is significant overlap with other standards,
especially with SVG.  I don't view this as a problem -- I hope that
the functionality exposed by these potential CSS features doesn't come
anywhere close to what's possible with SVG, but instead provides
concise and simple approaches for the most common use cases.  For
anything more complex, SVG (or another "full-featured" spec) should
remain the standard.

     - Vlad