Re: CSS Charter (Apple's Wishlist)

On Mar 25, 2008, at 3:45 PM, Paul Nelson (ATC) wrote:

> I would like to push back and ask why new "cool" things should be
> considered for addition to the charter when we have core pieces that
> are not completed yet.
>
> Perhaps with each new "cool" piece there should be a commitment to
> first finish one core piece of the standard. That way we can have
> the core pieces finished along with getting the new "cool" ideas in.

So Microsoft can propose cool new ideas like:

http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-css3-grid-20070905/

...and have them worked on because they happen to fall under the scope
of the current charter?

However when Apple proposes something that happens to lie outside the
scope of the current charter, your response is "No! We shouldn't do
that!"

While I can understand that your engine is struggling to play catch-up
after years of neglect on your company's part, that's no excuse for
holding the rest of the Web back.  Some of us have largely completed
CSS2.1 and would like to see CSS improve significantly in the coming
years.

Finally, Silverlight implements many of these ideas and is being
pushed for use on the Web.  I guess "cool" is ok when it's part of
your company's proprietary technology stack.

dave
(hyatt@apple.com)