Re: [CSS21] white-space default on :before and :after (was Re: Microsoft contributing test cases to the CSS WG)

On Friday 2008-03-07 09:39 +0100, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> I do not think we should have any content:"\A"; without white-space in
> the sample place, we should not remove the content:"\A" example in the
> 'content' section, and I assume you did not mean to suggest to remove
> the whole sample style sheet, so that would only leave the example in
> the 'white-space' section to be removed. I was concerned you wanted to
> remove more than that; I am perfectly fine with keeping the normative
> text as it is. Perhaps you can list the specific changes you had in
> mind?

What I was proposing was:

(1) In http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/CR-CSS21-20070719/sample.html ,
remove the line:

# :before, :after { white-space: pre-line }

(2) In http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/CR-CSS21-20070719/text.html#white-space-prop ,
change the text:
  # The following examples show what whitespace behavior is expected
  # from the PRE and P elements, the "nowrap" attribute in HTML, and
  # in generated content.
  #
  # pre        { white-space: pre }
  # p          { white-space: normal }
  # td[nowrap] { white-space: nowrap }
  # :before,:after { white-space: pre-line }
to say:
  # The following examples show what whitespace behavior is expected
  # from the PRE and P elements and the "nowrap" attribute in HTML.
  #
  # pre        { white-space: pre }
  # p          { white-space: normal }
  # td[nowrap] { white-space: nowrap }

There is still an example in
http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/CR-CSS21-20070719/generate.html#propdef-content
that uses '\a' with an explicit declaration of 'white-space: pre'.
I'm happy to leave that one.

-David