Re: [CSS21] CR-CSS21-20070719, 8.3.1 Collapsing in presence of min/max-height, small correction suggested

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 3:52 PM, Bert Bos <bert@w3.org> wrote:

>> > So... new issue: in
>> > We can't find anything in the spec that says these margins aren't
>> > adjoining
[...]

> Maybe what's missing is a rule that says that an element with a 'height'
> other than 'auto' doesn't collapse its bottom margin with its children.

If I understand well, the following paragraph in 8.3.1, which lists
the conditions under which there is such collapsing, already mentions
that height must be auto:

"The bottom margin of an in-flow block-level element with a 'height'
of 'auto' and 'min-height' less than the element's used height and
'max-height' greater than the element's used height is adjoining to
its last in-flow block-level child's bottom margin if the element has
no bottom padding or border."

I assumed that paragraph was meant as listing the _only_ cases under
which that collapsing/adjoining occurs. If this is its meaning, then
'height not auto' already excludes adjoining.

And then there is further doubt just mentioned by Boris...

Bruno

--
Bruno Fassino http://www.brunildo.org/test