Re: Parent Combinator / Parent pseudo-class

On Jul 23, 2008, at 1:10 AM, Stephen wrote:

> Ingo Chao wrote:
>>
>> 2008/7/19 Stephen <w3mail@jixor.com>:

>>> My concept is that it should be possible to target an element with
>>> specific
>>> children...
>>>
>> div:with-child(h5) {
>>   float: left;
>>   overflow: hidden;
>> }
>>
>> I think that would cause a reflow of what is already rendered of the
>> div when a h5 is encountered.
>>
>> regards
>>
> I have considered this and to me it would be a matter of choice, a
> developer would be aware that it could cause awkward adjustments
> however for the rendering engine one would expect it would be no
> different to doing it with javascript, which is a quite simple
> process, but not really satisfactory as I tend to prefer to avoid js
> as much as possible for obvious reasons.

Stephen,

There are those in this WG who consider it their holy mission to
protect the world from the evils of Web authors (even though they
ultimately fail, thanks to JavaScript workarounds). Usefulness to
authors is not nearly as important to these people, and the idea of
authors being responsible for their own work is antithetical to their
entire world view.

In other words, even if every author wants it and has been clamoring
for it for years, don't hold your breath waiting for it. That
particular request always falls on deaf ears.