Re: Parent Combinator / Parent pseudo-class

Stephen wrote:
> Ingo Chao wrote:
>> 2008/7/19 Stephen <w3mail@jixor.com>:

>>> My concept is that it should be possible to target an element with
>>> specific
>>> children...
>>>

>> div:with-child(h5) {
>>   float: left;
>>   overflow: hidden;
>> }
>>
>> I think that would cause a reflow of what is already rendered of the
>> div when a h5 is encountered.
>>
>> regards
>>
> I have considered this and to me it would be a matter of choice, a
> developer would be aware that it could cause awkward adjustments however
> for the rendering engine one would expect it would be no different to
> doing it with javascript, which is a quite simple process, but not
> really satisfactory as I tend to prefer to avoid js as much as possible
> for obvious reasons.

A parent combinator pseudo-class or parent pseudo-class requires a CSS
parser to walk the chain. This is a huge performance hit which requires
scripting. What would you require a parent combinator pseudo-class for?

--
Alan http://css-class.com/

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's
character, give him power - Abraham Lincoln