Re: Additional value for the visibility property

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 7:25 AM, Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
wrote:

> Formally speaking: current specification is buggy by itself so no one can
> prove "correct rendering".
> Definition of z-index and stacking context conflicts with the opacity and
> "draw all children".

I don't know where it was written down over the years, but the idea that
we'd resolve the problem by introducing a stacking context is mentioned by
Chris Lilley as early as 2000:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2000Nov/0014.html

It's what we implemented and what Webkit implemented. Hyatt mentions it in
2004:
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/hyatt/archives/2004_09.html

Information about that behaviour has propagated around the Web, e.g.
http://www.tjkdesign.com/articles/everything_you_always_wanted_to_know_about_z-index_but_were_afraid_to_ask.asp

I would be surprised if there aren't Web pages that depend on it.

You need a really strong reason to change this decision now, something more
than just "something else feels more natural to me".

Rob
53:5-6]