Re: Time to drop "almost standards mode"?

On Jan 28, 2008, at 21:08, fantasai wrote:

> Why isn't
>  td > img { vertical-align: middle; }
> sufficient for this?

Normal Web authors out there don't know to do that. CSS2 failed at the
Support Existing Content design principle now adopted for HTML5. Even
when it isn't about existing content, CSS 2.1 still fails to adhere to
the principle of least surprise as far as author expectations go.

I predict we will see a new round of author confusion around this
issue when people start adding stuff like <canvas> to their existing
designs and upgrade to the HTML5 doctype.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi