Re: [CSS3 Text] Text Decoration Section Drafted

Mikko Rantalainen wrote:
> Grant, Melinda wrote:
>> fantasai said:
>>> Just finished drafting the new text-decoration
>>> (underline/overline/strike-through) section:
>>>    http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-text/#line-decoration
>>>
>>> Comments welcome.
>> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-text/#line-decoration says that the UA
>> "must use the same baseline and thickness on each line."
>>
>> I would think the thickness could vary within one line (as the example
>> below illustrates.)  Maybe you want "text fragment" or some such...?
>
> Perhaps the text is trying to say that in case the parent specifies a
> line (e.g. underlining) and child has different font size and its own
> declaration for the line (underlining), then there should not be two
> different underlinings (one for the parent and one for the child) but
> instead UA should decide between the two. I'm not sure which one should
> be used.
>
> I agree that the wording should be changed to be more exact.

Clarified as

   # In determining the position and thickness of text decoration lines,
   # user agents may consider the font sizes and dominant baselines of
   # descendants, but for a given element's decoration must use the same
   # baseline and thickness on each line.

Does that help?

~fantasai