Re: Random access and the CSS3 Values spec

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> * Henri Sivonen wrote:
>> Nothing about calc() or any other functional notation. I learned about
>> calc() in passing on #css.
>>
>> For the benefit of readers who look up individual definitions, it
>> would be helpful to make the value type definition mention the
>> relevant functions that can appear in a given value type.
>>
>> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-values/#lengths
>
> You phrase this as a comment on CSS Level 3 Values, but this is really a
> comment on the media queries specification. It would not be feasible to
> discuss this in the Values specification, since for <length> you might
> very well use things that hardly make sense in media queries, attr() for
> example. The problem here is that the MQ specification does not say what
> it means by "<length>", and that's what should be fixed.

The CSS3 Values spec should specify that attr() can only be used inside
a normal ruleset's declaration block--one whose declarations apply to a
document element or document element's pseudo-element. E.g. it can't be
used in media queries and it can't be used in the @page declaration.

~fantasai