Re: [css3-multicol] Overflow and Columns

Alex Mogilevsky wrote:
>> -----Original Message----- From: fantasai [mailto:fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net] Sent: Friday,
>> January 18, 2008 9:13 AM
>>
>> Imagine an interactive scrollbox broken into three parts... now apply the page-breaking rules
>> so no line boxes get cut in half... while you're scrolling..? I don't want to go there, so we
>> need a "The UA may treat scrollable boxes as unbreakable."
>
> I am with you here, I don't want two halves of a box separately scrollable. At the same time, we
> prefer to specify preferred behavior when we can, right?
>
> My concern with not breaking scrollers across columns is that it would either prevent them from
> breaking across pages, or make column breaks inconsistent with pages.
>
> Maybe:
> * in interactive media, elements with overflow:scroll are not breakable across columns or pages

I'd say it MUST be treated as "avoid breaks in this element", and if it's the only thing
in the page/column then the UA MAY treat it as unbreakable. But if it can break it, we
should not discourage that.

> * in non-interactive media, UA can choose to clip, overflow or break elements; preferred
> behavior is *X*
>
> (I think preferred behavior is to use scissor pagination in non-interactive case; there isn't
> interop there though so it could as well be clip)

In the non-interactive case it should be possible to do proper pagination, and that should be
preferred if not required.

~fantasai