Re: [css3-mediaqueries] [css3-selectors] Request for feedback on syntax

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 21:49:03 +0100, Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
> wrote:
>> We should try to close the issue of a formal syntax for Media Queries.
>> The CSS WG discussed it yesterday and reached the following consensus:
>>
>>   - escapes should be handled according to the rules of the host
>>     language. (This means one cannot always cut and paste between HTML
>>     and CSS files, but escapes aren't that common so the use case is
>>     slim.)
>
> This is different from Selectors Level 3 which has been at CR/LC level
> for quite some time now. I don't think we should deviate from it.

Actually, Selectors Level 3 is ambiguous in this respect. The grammar
allows the characters that form an escape to be present where they would
be in CSS, but there is no prose that says what they mean, not even a
relevant normative reference to CSS2.1.

~fantasai