Re: [css3-mediaqueries] Request for feedback on syntax

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 21:49:03 +0100, HÃ¥kon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
> wrote:
>> We should try to close the issue of a formal syntax for Media
Queries.
>> The CSS WG discussed it yesterday and reached the following
consensus:

>>   - escapes should be handled according to the rules of the host
>>     language. (This means one cannot always cut and paste between
HTML
>>     and CSS files, but escapes aren't that common so the use case is
>>     slim.)
>
> This is different from Selectors Level 3 which has been at CR/LC level
> for quite some time now. I don't think we should deviate from it.

If some people wants to use Selectors in a language with a different
syntax than CSS's, it's up to them to adapt the notation. And if that
requires different escapes (or different white space, different
comments, etc.), that's fine by me. But we, the CSS WG, don't define
any such syntaxes.

Media Queries is different. We explicitly define how Media Queries are
to be used in certain HTML and XML constructs and thus we have to
define the syntax in those contexts.

I neither want to require support for backslash escapes in HTML and XML,
nor for ampersand escapes in CSS. That implies it is possible to
construct expressions that cannot be cut-and-pasted with a simple text
editor, but I consider cut and paste a nice feature, not an absolute
requirement. And in practice I don't expect to see many escapes in
media queries anyway.

Bert