Re: Collapsing elements

Brad Kemper wrote:

> On Feb 26, 2008, at 12:12 AM, Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
>
>> It is a trinity of equally valuable entities: DOM element, style and
>> behavior.
>>

>> De facto there is a set of behaviors already. All <input>s can be
>> presented as set of declarations:
>>

>> input[type="text"] { behavior: single-line-edit; ....}
>>
>> input[type="chekbox"] { behavior: checkbox; ...}
>>
>> input[type="radio"] { behavior: radio; ...}
>>

>> If you will start think this way then suddenly you will discover
>>
>> that you can reuse behaviors for almost all other UA activation needs.
>>

>> E.g. some list with <li> that have assigned behavior:radio to them
>>
>> may behave as an accordion widget with proper styling.
>>

>> So it is a matter of separation of behavior from dom element and styling
>>
>> that according to old "divide et impera" principle will only help us
>> to reach new quality.
>>

> That's one small step (or perhaps one giant leap) beyond what I was
> talking about, but I would welcome it, if we could ever get to that
> point. It would seem that radio and checkbox behaviors could apply to
> a wide variety of elements, but I have a hard time imagining what it
> would mean to apply a single-line-edit behavior to a UL, or a
> pop-up-menu behavior to a radio input, for instance.
Think about this:

table#spreadsheet > td:not(:first-child)
{
   behavior: single-line-edit;
   text-wrap:none;
   overflow:hidden;
}

It will declare all cells in the table (except in first column) to be
editable.

And:

   input[type="radio"] { behavior: pop-up-menu; }

will replace intrinsic behavior:radio by the new one for applied
elements.  May or may not have any sense.

But (css) :

   menu { behavior: menu-bar; }
   menu menu { behavior: pop-up-menu; }
   menu menu li.option { behavior: radio; }

does have sense. Isn't it?

--
Andrew Fedoniouk.

http://terrainformatica.com