Re: [css3-values] [css3-line] Line height values

David Hyatt wrote:

> On Jan 23, 2008, at 5:03 AM, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
>
>> Anyway, if browsers actually vary the meaning of normal by font, the
>> situation is rather odd:
>
> They do this.  A value of 'normal' will use a line height that is equal
> to the line gap + ascent + descent, where all three of those numbers are
> obtained from the font itself.  Hence my complaint about percentage and
> numeric line heights being relative to font-size.  The intuitive
> behavior of 200% or 2 as a line-height value would have been to be twice
> the value of 'normal.'  It's too late to change this now though.
>
> I definitely see value in introducing a new unit in order to be able to
> specify the line-height as a multiple of 'normal.'

I think a new unit based on line-height would be useful to have, but it
won't solve the problem for 'line-height' itself. Like 'em' units, it would
inherit as a computed absolute length, whereas for 'line-height' you usually
want to inherit the factor. It would have been nice if we could define
percentages as relative to 'normal' and numbers relative to 'font-size' or
something like that.. we might have to settle for something like
   line-height: 200% normal;

~fantasai