Re: [css3-namespace] what is a "no namespace"

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 11:09:04 +0100, Christof Hoeke <csad7@t-online.de>
wrote:
> Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>>  It is in XML 1.1. And there's talk of backporting that to 1.0. Anyway,
>> what makes you think this is an issue?
>
> I did not know about XML 1.1 had changed that (XML 1.1 which I guess
> should be seen as a failure as the current discussion on XML-dev about
> XML 2.0 shows).

No disagreement there. XML 1.1 is a failure. But backporting xmlns:foo=""
to XML 1.0 makes sense.

> Anyway, it would/will be an issue if XML and CSS handle namespaces
> differently and regarding XML 1.0 and current CSS they do:
>
>  XML:
>   <example xmlns:empty=""/>
>   => invalid
>  CSS:
>   @namespace empty "";
>   => valid

I don't see why you think this is an issue, because a) it's an edge case,
b) it already works like this in at least two browsers, and c) there's a
fair chance that XML 1.0 wil change.

> just to be sure:
>
> given XML:
>
> <doc xmlns="http://example.com#n1"
>       xmlns:n2="http://example.com#n2">
>  <example/>
>  <example xmlns="http://example.com#n3"/>
>  <n2:example xmlns="http://example.com#n1"/>
> </doc>
>
> CSS selector with no default or any other namespace defined:
>
>  example
>
> would not select anything in the above XML, or does it?
> (I wrote another post with a more complete example yesterday in a new
> thread)

Why don't you test it yourself? example would select _all_ example
elements. Regardless of namespace. (This changes if you put something like
@namespace "test"; on top, of course.)

> SVG/XHTML do work, but if you need to style a document using both you
> should understand namespaces and then they are relevant on the web too I
> guess.

I don't see why you'd need to use @namespace in CSS to style a simple
XHTML+SVG document.

--