Re: [CSS21] Why are browser default style values different from Appendix D

Saloni Mira Rai wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was just wondering why there is so much difference between browser default values and CSS 2.1 Default values.

I wonder that to. :-)

> I know Appendix D is non-normative, but since real world implementation is significantly different, would developers/browsers be interested in seeing these changes driven back in to the spec?
>

> HTML            Property                CSS2.1          FF                      Opera                   Safari
>
> OL              margin          1.12em 0                1em 0                   1em 0                   1em 0
> OL              margin-left             40px                    0                       0                       0
> UL              margin          1.12em 0                1em 0                   1em 0                   1em 0
> UL              margin-left             40px                    0                       0                       0
> LI ??????
>
> Thanks,
> Saloni

Yes please.

For comparison I would also like to see the defaults of IE in respect to
list items including padding. The defaults for list are very different
between the above implementations and IE and add many problems when
coding for authors and developers.`Maybe the IE defaults also cause the
mysterious spaces [1] [2] to appear in all versions of IE including IE8.

[1] http://www.brunildo.org/test/IE8b1_li_float_space.html
[2] http://css-class.com/test/bugs/ie/listitemsfloatsandmargins.htm

Alan