Re: Updated versions of Apple's transforms/animations/transitions proposals

On Apr 17, 2008, at 7:14 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 1:40 PM, Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com> wrote:
> Suppose a property is transitioning from A to B, and partway through
> it is told to go to C. I think you have 3 options:
>
> 1. You go to C using the specified transition duration (a new
> transition).
> 2. You go to C using the remaining duration from the AB transition.
> 3. You go to C using the duration that the AB transition has been
> running.
>
> My guess is, if the duration of the AB transition equals the
> duration of the new transition, then authors want case 2 if C is
> close to B, and case 3 is C is close to A.
>
> Hmm. I think Maciej was on the right track and we really want to
> specify velocity, not duration, or perhaps a desired velocity and a
> maximum duration. It's too bad that specifying velocity in CSS seems
> hard :-(.

You could specify a duration and an expected amount of change, and use
that to infer a velocity. Or perhaps there is some way to infer
"expected amount of change", perhaps we determine this every time a
transition affects an element and no other transitions are currently
in effect on it. So every transition that doesn't interrupt another
gets full duration, but mid-course reversals would have the duration
adjusted by the distance to go.

I think that would handle the quick reversal case nicely without
additional properties.

Regards,
Maciej