Re: [css3-webfonts] Proposal-in-progress for cross site font sharing [was "Downloaded fonts should not..."]

On 17/04/2008, Brad Kemper <brkemper@comcast.net> wrote:

> > > Maybe your suggestion would work though if the headers
> > > contained something like an MD5 number that was verified.
>
> > There you go. Now you're thinking along similar lines to what I
> > was thinking when I mentioned encryption.
> > The problem is, where would these headers go? Would this need
> > a new font format? Could they be applied to existing formats?
>
> Short answers: "TBD", "hopefully not", and "hopefully so".

My answers:

1. http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.15

2. OpenType is over 10 years old and is showing it, and we do need
support for new font formats like SIL Graphite to become more
widespread.

3. HTTP works okay for most any data format :-)

> I was initially imagining that information to be in a new type of HTTP
> header, but that might not be workable (I'm not sure) ... if there is
> already an HTTP header with file meta-data that precedes a
> download, then it could be shoe-horned into that.

:-)

--
Regards,
Dave