Re: [css3-mediaqueries] no list of allowed media types

On Wednesday 2008-04-02 20:31 -0700, L. David Baron wrote:
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-mediaqueries/#syntax says:
>
> # Media queries involving unknown media types are ignored.
>
> This is different from the most recent CR,
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/CR-css3-mediaqueries-20070606/#syntax ,
> which says:
>
> # Media queries involving unknown media types are always false.
>

> This change requires that css3-mediaqueries normatively define the
> list of known media types.  It currently does not do that; it only
> refers informatively to lists in other specs in
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-mediaqueries/#background
>

> (This change seems pretty substantial.  Does it match what has been
> implemented?)

To follow up on this one as well -- here I also prefer the text in
the CR over the text in the editor's draft, although my feelings are
not as strong as in the other case.  I think giving authors the
ability to do if/else with a guarantee that at exactly one of the
options will be applied is probably more valuable than giving
authors the ability to detect whether the media feature is correctly
detected.  (It would be better to be able to do both, but I don't
see a trivial way to do that.)  That said, I could be convinced
otherwise.

I wrote a testcase to try to test this:
  http://dbaron.org/css/test/2008/mq-unknown-type
The only browsers I've found that support not (Opera 9.5 beta 1 and
Safari 3.1) make it yellow, which agrees with the CR, not the
editor's draft.

-David