RE: "non-zero top border" in 8.3.1

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007, Alex Mogilevsky wrote:

> I agree we have to be careful when making late changes. I agree updating
> tests is also a factor to take into account.
>
> I am not buying the argument that it shouldn't be changed because the
> spec is written 8 years ago. The whole reason the spec stayed in a draft
> for a long time is because it takes time to analyze it to finest detail
> and find all issues. This is one of them.

The margin collapsing stuff wasn't written 8 years ago. We had a very long
meeting in Oslo only a few years ago where we (including Microsoft) came
up with the text that's now in the draft. It was part of the issues
process. The recent proposal isn't a new issue, it's just reopening an
old, previously resolved issue.

One of the reasons CSS2.1 stayed in draft form for so long was in fact
that previously resolved issues were reopened several times by new working
group members.

> I am also not sure what you mean by lowering respect from implementers
> for CSS working group. It is the implementers who proposing this change.

With all due respect, there are many more engineers out there working on
Web browser rendering engines than you and David. :-)