Re: CSS21] CR-CSS21-20070719, 6.4.3 Selector specificity

Bert Bos wrote:
> Andrei Polushin wrote:
>> CSS21 counts for pseudo-elements, but CSS3 specifies "ignore
>> pseudo-elements". Is it the incompatible difference?
>
> It doesn't matter whether you count them or not. Both CSS 2.1 section
> 5.2[1] and Selectors section 4[2] say that there may be no more than
> *one* pseudo-element at the end of the selector. [...]

Yes, but Selectors section 7[3] say that "a future version ... may allow
multiple pseudo-elements per selector", and  CSS3 Generated and Replaced
Content Module section 4[4] just allows them, thus making the
incompatibility visible.

I have to decide how to implement this. First, I see the intent is to have
multiple pseudo-elements per selector. Second, I have to implement the
specificity calculation. Then I see two contradictory specifications and
decide that the wording in [CSS21] takes priority over [CSS3SELECT]. Now you
tell me that the wording in [CSS21] couldn't be treated as normative.

That's a pity.

[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-css3-selectors-20051215/#pseudo-elements
[4] http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-css3-content-20030514/#syntax

--