Re: "non-zero top border" in 8.3.1

On Thursday 2007-09-06 15:37 -0700, Alex Mogilevsky wrote:
> > The only reason that I would consider valid for changing margin collapsing
> > rules at this point is if implementing the rules results in serious
> > incompatibilities with existing content on major sites.
>
> Yes, I also think compatibility is and should be a major force here.
> As I said before I don't have a preference to outcome, as long as
> other browsers are willing to change. For IE, any change here is a
> major compatibility issue that we'll have to deal with, so exact
> target is not all that important.
>
> I want to hear from the browsers what they want to do. We'll talk
> about it in F2F, if you are not coming (or are you?) I hope you can
> call in for this one.

So I think there are two pretty good arguments in favor of making the
change Alex proposes:

 * it seems to match implementations better (although I think this could
   use a little more verification)

 * it gets along better with incremental rendering -- a float at the
   beginning of an empty block is treated the same as the same float
   would be if the block had content after the float.  This seems pretty
   important to me.  And, in general, the position of an empty block is
   the same (top) position it would have if it had content, which seems
   to be pretty useful in implementation.

So, after the discussion we had at the meeting, I'm leaning in favor of
the proposed change.

-David