Re: The Next Big Thing

On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 09:46:45 +0200, Spartanicus wrote:

> Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com> wrote:
>
>>Alistapart has just publihed an article that describes the potential
>>of web fonts in combination with TrueType.
>>
>>  http://www.alistapart.com/articles/cssatten
>>
>>It also contains a small proposal for using media queries to check for
>>web fonts support:
>>
>>  h1 {
>>     font-family: "Trebuchet MS", sans-serif;
>>     letter-spacing: 0.1em;
>>  }
>>
>>  @media all and (web-fonts: "truetype") {
>>    h1 {
>>      font-family: "Primer Apples", sans-serif;
>>      letter-spacing: 0.2em;
>>    }
>>  }
>
> Forgive my lack of knowledge on this issue, does the proposed method
> allow users to disable web fonts through a user stylesheet which then
> also results in a media query for web fonts to report no support?

I don't think forcing users to write a user stylesheet is an appropiate way to disable downloading of fonts, it should be a separate option. Probably not something to mandate in the spec, but logically needed for implementations that care about user control and limiting bandwidth usage.

Netscape 4 and IE, both supporting @font-face (but not with truetype), have a checkbox somewhere in their settings to enable/disable this. IIRC (last time I tried this must have been IE4...), IE asks you with a popup dialog to allow font downloading the first time you come across a site that uses it.

--

                                                   Rijk van Geijtenbeek
                                 Opera Software ASA, Documentation & QA