Re: Proposal of @ua

On Oct 20, 2007, at 2:01 AM, Christof Hoeke wrote:

> just a thought:
>
> As probably only very few properties need to be UA specific it may
> be easier (to author and maintain) to different on the property
> level and not the rule or even @media level:
>
> div {
>     width and gecko: 80px;
>     width: 100px;
> }
>
> so like the syntax for MediaQuery, or maybe even
>
>     width[css:ua="Trident"]: 80px
>
> with an XPath like predicate syntax. I guess the actual syntax is
> not the problem but where these things should be placed in the
> first place
>
> Chris

That's an interesting idea. I can see the value of that, but  my own
view is that maintainability by the author would be easier if all the
rule exceptions for a given UA were in one place in the sheet,
especially when new or alternate versions of the UA came out (or as
old UAs became obsolete). Also, I imagine there would be more
implementors on board if it only had to be implemented as @media or
@ua that loads a set of rules or not, than if they had to implement a
change to every property and how properties are read. I could be
wrong about that, as I am not an implementor, but I am in favor of
making something to deal with this as painless to implement as
possible, in order to get it out there as quickly as possible.