Re: Proposal of @ua

Jens Meiert wrote:
>> I think most Web developers would try to avoid that by including a
>> default version:
>>
>> @media screen and not trident {
>>  // rules for everyone else
>> }
>
> Leaving former arguments (including mine, sure) aside and focussing on this proposal, it might still be more useful and more maintainable to target specific implementations on another level, for example by
>
>   foo:::Trident {}
>
> This admittedly lame since quick counterproposal targets maintainability (principle of nearness, “hacked” stuff can be close to the regular stuff) and takes into account the relatively rare (in comparison, yes) cases in which implementation-specific rules or declarations are needed.

just a thought:

As probably only very few properties need to be UA specific it may be
easier (to author and maintain) to different on the property level and
not the rule or even @media level:

div {
     width and gecko: 80px;
     width: 100px;
}

so like the syntax for MediaQuery, or maybe even

     width[css:ua="Trident"]: 80px

with an XPath like predicate syntax. I guess the actual syntax is not
the problem but where these things should be placed in the first place

Chris