Re: [CSS3 Text] Thoughts on hanging-punctuation property

Daniel Aleksandersen wrote:
>fantasai wrote:
>> I haven't seen an equivalent demand for hanging other punctuation at the
>> start or end of every line. This could be because I haven't run across
>> the right publications, or it could be because it's not as common, and
>> therefore not as important for us to add to CSS at this point in time.
>
> When you say ‘Western’ you apparently mean American and British. As I said,
> it is common in Norwegian newspapers and books TODAY.  I know I have seen
> hanging parentheses, brackets, and hyphen and dashes. We use «guillemets»
> for quotation marks and those are almost always hanging. Norwegian
> typography is derived from early 1900 German and French typography.  You
> will probably find left hanging punctuation in those languages as well.

Well, I'll readily admit that my Norwegian collection is weak: I only
have a small book of poetry in Norwegian. But I do happen to have some
books in French from various publishers. Seven different publishers to
be exact, and one of the books was published in 1925. None of them exhibit
hanging-punctuation of the kind you describe (or of any kind, actually).

I've also looked at some of the scans of Norwegian newspapers available
on the Web, and none of those demonstrate the use of hanging-punctuation
either...

So if you have access to a scanner or a digital camera, it would help if
you could post some of your examples. You can send them to www-archive@w3.org:
the attachments will show up in the archives at
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/

~fantasai