From: www-style-request@w3.org [mailto:www-style-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Brad Kemper
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 12:08 AM
To: www-style@w3.org
Subject: Re: Proposal: "text-transform" property revision

Paul, that is a good argument not to use it that way all the time,
and perhaps not on BBC headlines, but there are probably a lot of
situations to be able to lowercase the letters first, before
capitalizing them.

For instance, I  often have to deal with a system that stores all of
its data in ALL CAPS, and I use VBscript on the server right now to
make them lowercase and then Initial Capped. It does mess up a few
things like initialisms, but it is more acceptable than the
alternative, at least for me with that (limited) particular usage.

If I understand correctly, what Jens proposed would not actually
change the way "capitalize" would work on its own (it would still not
affect letters that did not begin a word whn not combined with a
different key word), but would only have the side effect you
described when combined with "lowercase" in the same text
transformation. It does seem like a good option to me. Perhaps a new
key word ("upperandlowercase") would be easier to implement than
combining two there?