RE: W3C CSS Home Redesign RFC

fantasai wrote:

> > Heya everyone,
> > Jason Cranford Teague (AOL's CSSWG rep) and I are planning to redesign
> > the CSS homepage to make it more useful and give it a new look:
> >
> >   http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/
> >
> > We're interested in your feedback on how to make it more useful and
> > usable.
>
> So, what I'm hearing so far is:
>
>    - Link prominently to the specs ****
>        - Emphasize CSS2.1 and other current specs
>        - Mark REC-CSS1 and REC-CSS2 obsolete/historical
>        - Make good use of table from current-work
>    - Get rid of the "What's new" text on the front page. Maybe move it
>      to a separate section, with separate pages for each type of news.
>    - Keep the front page very short.
>    - Hierarchical navigation, with good navigational aids
>    - Don't touch the font size.
>    - Make it pretty
>    - Maybe set up alternate style sheets from guest designers
>    - Follow best practices for HTML, CSS, and accessibility.
>
> Other notes:
>    - Only color actively-edited specs on current-work page.
>
> I'll start sketching out an HTML+content skeleton over the next week
> and put it up for comment.
>
> ~fantasai

When visitors come to the home page. They should go wow. I love eye candy, pretty, pretty, pretty. If I didn't why would I bother with a styling language. My points.

I would like to see more CSS2 and some CSS3 incorporated. Even separating some styles into there CSS level. Showing a site that gracefully degrades in legacy browsers where practical. Such as IE6 not keeping the side menu fixed. I would reword this part.

/* The child selectors are a hack to hide these rules from WinIE6,
   which gets confused by 'fixed' */
body>div#Menu,
body>div.map { position: fixed }

/* The child selectors are used since they are a more specific selector that feeds capable browsers a different rule since WinIE6 doesn't support position 'fixed' */

or something similar.

The CSS3 level styles like maybe border-radius can be included on there own stylesheet and they will be rendered when the property is supported by the various browsers. It alone can only be CSS3 valid. This may take some foresight, but that isn't a bad thing.

Also maybe lest use of classes or id in the html and more use of child, sibling and attribute selectors.

Hopefully my suggestions don't make IE6 or earlier explode instead of degrade gracefully. :-)

Kind regards, Alan