Re: [CSS3 Text] incorrect "preferred mark position" for emphasis marks

Ambrose Li wrote:
> On 04/11/2007, Ambrose Li <ambrose.li@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have never seen anything typeset in traditional Chinese with a
>> preferred mark position of "before" for the emphasis mark.
>
> Sorry to follow up on myself. I have now checked a dictionary for the
> standard usage in HK. So I am filling in some details.
>
> The placement of the emphasis mark in HK depends on the writing
> direction. The current standard placement is "before" (left) when
> vertical, and "after" (below) when horizontal. (p. 436, Oxford
> Beginner's Chinese Dictionary)

Thanks, Ambrose. I was actually just looking at this yesterday with
someone from the PRC and he mentioned the same thing. Can you
double-check the placement for vertical, though? "before" in vertical
text corresponds to the right side of the line, not the left, and I've
been told quite definitively by two Chinese students that the marks
are placed on the right.

See also
   http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/style/discuss/emphasis-marks/zh/
which seems to have some information on these marks. I haven't gotten
around to translating it yet -- it would probably take me several hours
with a dictionary.

~fantasai