RE: Expected overflow behavior for element with clip set?

In other words, there needs to be a distinction in the spec to indicate that
the "invisible" portion of the content is not to behave as affected by
"visibility: hidden", but rather as "overflow: hidden".

Not causing scroll when clipped seems reasonable enough. However, the
question then becomes what should happen if you clip the top/left sides?

.parent {overflow: auto; position: relative;
         height: 100px; width: 100px}
.child {background: blue; position: absolute;
        clip: rect(50px, 100px, 100px, 50px);
        width: 200px; height: 200px;}

Should the clipped box now be shifted to the left and up accordingly?

Rainer