Re: Issue with CSS2.1 9.5.1 float rules

Zoffix Znet wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-16-06 at 16:50 -0700, David Hyatt wrote:
>> The term "outer edge" has a precise definition that includes margins.
>>
>> See http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/box.html#outer-edge
>

> Yes, but it doesn't mention anything regarding _negative_ margins, neither
> there are any examples of such.
>
> The specs mention zero margins:
> "The margin edge surrounds the box margin. If the margin has 0 width, the
> margin edge is the same as the border edge." but nothing regarding negative.
> Neither does the section on "Calculating widths and margins" (in particular
 > section 10.3.5 ) say anything regarding negative margins.

Well, I guess "surrounds" isn't quite the right word, but there isn't anything
disturbingly different about how negative margins are handled. It might help
to think of the margin lines as a 1D vector surface, with the vectors always
pointing "outward"? Even if opposing negative margins cross each other when
you draw them, those edges still behave the same in how they interact with
other boxes. The bottom margin edge is still the bottom margin edge, even if
it winds up above the top margin edge: A box paced immediately after it will
be immediately adjacent to that edge. Likewise for the right margin edge:
a right-floating element is placed so that its right margin edge is aligned
with its containing block's right edge, whether that right margin edge is to
the right or to the left of its element's border box.

~fantasai