Re: representation of the people

Kevin Lawver wrote:

> Jonathan,
>
> There are several "users" of CSS.  Which one do you mean?  Here are the
> customers of CSS as I see them:
>
> Authors: People who create web pages, either as a hobby or
> professionally (I'm in this group).
> Implementors: Folks who create web browsers that parse and render CSS.
> Users: Anyone who uses anything created by the other two groups.
>
> Implementors are well-represented on the working group. Mozilla, Opera,
> Apple, Microsoft, Adobe and HP and others all have representatives on
> the group.  Authors are also now pretty well-represented by AOL, Google
> and others who create mass-market web applications (we weren't before,
> but thankfully, our numbers have grown in the past couple years).  I

> would also say that users are fairly well-represented by the Authors,
> especially since we create pages used by the general public.  We push

In general, authors represent people trying to sell something to users,
or sell the ability to sell (i.e. their customers are advertisers).
That means sites are optimised for sales profitability, not optimised
for broad ease of use.  Users perceived as being easy to part from a lot
of money will always get priority.

(Note that Jonathon's background is in the care of young people with
"learning difficulties" (i.e. very low IQs).  They generally have
virtually no buying power, so authors do not consider them a sensible
target.)

--
David Woolley