Re: [CSS3 Text] Tibetan Emphasis marks

Richard Ishida wrote:
> Or you could put them on a server and point to them.
>
> Or you could send them to me, and I'll put them on the W3C server and point to them.
>
> Cheers,
> RI

OK I've sent these to Richard:

TIBETAN-EMPHASIS_MARKS.jpg - this illustrates the two marks commonly used for
emphasis or highlighting in Tibetan. They correspond to the Unicode characters
U+0F35 and U+0F37. (However the problem with the Unicode characters is that they
are combining marks applied to a single base - rather than to a whole word or
Tibetan 'syllable'. This one of the reasons why in most applications I think
markup, rather than explicit Unicode combining characters, would be a preferable
way to indicate this emphasis.)

TIBETAN-EMPHASIS_MARKS-2.jpg - This illustrates the use of Tibetan emphasis
marks in a long life prayer for the Lama Ngag dbang Tshogs gNyi rGya mtsho
mKhyen brtse'i Nor bu dri ma med pa. The individual 'syllables' of the lamas
name embedded with in the verse are emphasized with one of these marks.

Do_ha_mChan_'grel.pdf - is the entire text of a brief commentary on Saraha's
Dohakosha by Paltrul Rinpoche (1808-1887) where the actual words of  Saraha's
verses are emphasized with a round circle (U+0F35) placed beneath each syllable
- while the words of Paltrul's interspersed commentary (mchan 'grel) are not so
marked.

Chris Fynn

National Library of Bhutan, Thimphu