Re: [CSS3 Text] Tibetan Emphasis marks

Richard Ishida wrote:
>> I'll get you some images and send them.
>
> In the meantime, you can see the actual Unicode glyphs here

I already sent some examples to Paul - I didn't post them to the list since I
didn't want to burden it with large files.

> http://people.w3.org/rishida/scripts/uniview/?char=0F35&utf8=false
>
> http://people.w3.org/rishida/scripts/uniview/?char=0F37&utf8=false
>

>> These emphasis marks are used for instance:
>
> Chris, are the two marks used interchangeably, or each in a specific context?

These marks are used slightly differently.

In commentaries on texts where used to highlight the words of the text being
commented upon in order to distinguish these from the words of the commentator
generally U+0F37 is used - though U+0F35
could be used.

In a verse colophon at the end of a text where the author embeds the syllable of
his own name within the verse generally U+0F37 is used.

In verses in praise of, or wishing for the long life of an
individual the syllables of that persons name similarly embedded
within the verse will be highlighted or emphasised with the more
ornamental U+0F35 (being more ornamented or elaborate this has an
honorific implication).

>> Another method of emphasis used in Tibetan was to write the
>> emphasized text in red ink.
>
> Would this usually be applied to a whole 'syllable' at a time? (I'm hoping that individual
combined characters are not highlighted in this way, since it is difficult for
current user
agents to combine characters with markup around them.)  Is the tsheg also
highlighted?

Yes. Only in a few (very rare) cases would individual parts of a stack be
colored differently*. The tsheg would also generally be colored the same as the
"syllable" or word which it follows.

*For instance there is a short text which was reproduced and translated in W.Y.
Evans-Wentz's "Tibetan Yoga & Secret Doctrines" where individual elements of the
syllable ཧཱུྃ (U+0F67 U+0F71 U+0F74 U+0F83) are given an individual color.
Similarly the individual syllables of the mantra OM MA-NI PAD-ME HŪṂ
(ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པད་མེ་ཧཱུྃ  or ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ) are sometimes colored individually. (BTW All the
ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ screen savers I've seen get this wrong since the PAD [U+0F54 U+0F51]
should be one color and the ME [U+0FA8 U+0F7A] should be another - while they
all seem to make PA one color and DME another.)

- Chris