Re: 'border-spacing', 'caption-side', 'border-collapse' inheritance

On Monday 2007-12-17 10:30 -0800, Alex Mogilevsky wrote:
> CSS 2.1 says 'border-spacing', 'caption-side', 'border-collapse'
> inherit [1]. No current implementation that we've checked do that
> though, nor does it seem to make sense. Should the property definition
> be changed to "inherited:no", or do we overlook some other text that
> prevents inheritance into nested tables?

In Mozilla they're inherited, but our default style sheet for HTML
specifies that the HTML table element has border-spacing:2px and
border-collapse:separate.  (In CSS2.0 the latter was not the default
value, so the rule was necessary, and we've left it since it's
compatible with what other browsers do.)

They should inherit fine for non-HTML-table elements with the table
display types, or if you give table explicit inherit values.

Not sure what you're seeing with caption-side, though.

(I'd suggest testing different variation of removing lines in
http://dbaron.org/css/test/2007/table-inheritance .)

-David