"copy-fitting" - changing font size for justfiication (Re: [CSSWG] Resolutions 2007-08-28)

On Wednesday 29 August 2007 17:23, fantasai wrote:
> Bert Bos wrote:
> > Something related that we want in CSS, but haven't quite finished
> > designing yet, is a way to make a given text exactly fill a given
> > width. We have a proposed
> >
> >     last-line-align: size
> >
> > whose naming isn't as intuitive as we'd like but which means that
> > the UA adjusts the font size so that the text of the block fits
> > exactly on one line. Maybe 'text-align: justify; text-justify:
> > size' is more intuitive. It's useful for certain headings, e.g. (A
> > related addition, 'min-font-size' and 'max-font-size', allows to
> > limit the damage.)
>
> IIRC, Paul and I removed that from CSS3 Text awhile ago. It's was
> not a very well-designed feature: for example, it would look very
> silly whenever the text was split into more than one line.

It's quite common though. You can sort of do it with SVG instead, but
then ease of authoring suffers a bit:

    <h1><object data="ONE-SIZE.svg">One size</object></h1>

where ONE-SIZE.svg is an SVG file without an intrinsic size (i.e., no
width and height attributes, only a viewbox attribute) that contains
the text "ONE SIZE" scaled to the size of the viewbox. However, I think
that only works if you hardcode the font in the SVG file.The font
cannot depend on the style sheet.

Text normally isn't split into multiple lines when you use this, except
in extreme cases, when the font size would exceed 'min-font-size'
or 'max-font-size'. And typically you wouldn't set 'max-font-size';
and 'min-font-size' won't apply anyway, because the goal is to make
text large.

    <h1>One size</h1>

    h1 {text-transform: uppercase; last-line-align: size}

And actually, I don't think it would look silly when the text is on
multiple lines on purpose. On the contrary.

    <h1>Three<br>
        different<br>
        sizes</h1>

    TTTTTT  HH   HH  RRRRR   EEEEEE  EEEEEE
      TT    HH   HH  RR  RR  EE      EE
      TT    HHHHHHH  RRRRR   EEEE    EEEE
      TT    HH   HH  RR RR   EE      EE
      TT    HH   HH  RR  RR  EEEEEE  EEEEEE

    DD  III FFF FFF EEE RRR RRR EEE N N TTT
    D D  I  FF  FF  EE  RR  RR  EE  NNN  T
    DD  III F   F   EEE R R R R EEE N N  T

     SSSS   IIII  ZZZZZZZZ  EEEEEE   SSSS
    SS   S   II        ZZ   EE      SS   S
    SS       II       ZZ    EE      SS
     SSSS    II      ZZ     EEEE     SSSS
        SS   II     ZZ      EE          SS
    S   SS   II    ZZ       EE      S   SS
     SSSS   IIII  ZZZZZZ    EEEEEE   SSSS

Looks a bit old-fashioned, 1920's or so, but not silly...

Bert