Re: [CSSWG] Resolutions 2007-08-28

Bert Bos wrote:

(snip (to be returned to later !)

> I also think that changing the base font size (your example) is
> something that designers should simply never do. The media queries don't
> measure the distance of the user from his screen and thus cannot say
> anything sensible about the optimal font size.

But what about the standard typographic guidance,
extended to the web screen, that a single line
of text in a paragraph should not exceed approximately
$nn$ characters (40 -- 70 for paper, 70 -- 100 for
screen) ?  Beyond this, the reader is likely to
lose context on re-scanning to the start of the
next line.  This is the reasoning behind our "compute
optimal font size" code.

Philip TAYLOR