Re: css constants

Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
> <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
>> And of course, constants are useful in dynamic environments
>> if and only if their definition can be changed through the
>> CSS OM...
>
> Why "only if .. can be changed"? Could you explain real world scenario?

I think the point being made is that constants would be a redundant
feature which would break backwards compatibility of the page with no
benefit for the user of the page.  There could be benefits if the
"constants" were run time variables, but otherwise, the right solution
is to pre-process the CSS no later than the time that it is served from
the server, and therefore a local issue for the authoring tools or server.

Using selector groups, one can always avoid repeating properties, and,
with proper use of semantic based classes, and assuming no gratuitous
styling, one can do so with a minimum of repeats of the selector.  Such
style sheets tend to make the way that the styling represents the
structure much clearer than repeating the same colour name in many places.

Note this is a frequently rejected request.

(I think another concern is that this is the thin edge of the wedge of
turning CSS into a general purpose programming language (likely with all
the associated security risks)).

--
David Woolley