Re: [CSS3 Text] Re: controlling tab size

On 8/3/07, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> Niklas Åkerlund wrote:
> >  > From: James Justin Harrell <herorev@yahoo.com
> >  >
> >  > Is there any hope of getting a property to control how far apart the
> >  > tab stops are? The default 8em is much wider than I prefer. I would
> >  > really appreciate a property like "tab-size" to control this.
> >  >
> >  > tab-size: 4em;
> >
> > I managed to dig this up in the archive, because to me this really is an
> > issue. And nothing seems to have come out of it. yet....
>
> Note that the default tab stop is defined as 8ch, not 8em.. 8em is certainly
> much too large...

Oh yes, well spotted! 8 spaces in monospace is more like 8em than not though...

> For CSS3 Text, if an implementor wants to implement a 'tab-size' property or
> to make the tab size configurable via controls in the browser UI, I'm fine
> with adding this capability to CSS as long as the working group doesn't object.
> However, as I don't consider this particularly important for most web pages, I
> won't add it unless an implementor steps up and says "I'm going to implement
> this, please put it in the spec."

That seems like a reasonable attitude. No point saying something if it
isn't going to happen. Now, if I could just be lucky enough to find an
implementor gifted enough to learn short phrases... :-p

Niklas Åkerlund