Re: 3rd call: CSS2: howto disable audio?

Doug Schepers wrote:
> You are not being at all clear in your assertion.  Could you define what
> you mean by "unregulated"?  And who mentioned banning plugins based on
> W3C tech?

Roughly in the sense that governments use it, i.e. that people can do
whatever the market accepts, whether or not it is consistent with public
policy.  You introduced the concept of banning by giving examples of W3C
technologies as plugins.  You appeared to be saying that my claim that
plugins were unregulated was invalid because there were some plugins
that fall under W3C regulation.  I was saying that the existence of
regulated plugins doesn't invalidate the idea that plugins, in general,
are unregulated, as unregulated means anything goes, including ones that
would comply with any sort of regulation that one might want.

> Your impression is wrong, and smacks of FUD.  The original Adobe viewer
> went out of its way to allow scripting between DOMs, and inline SVG (as

I've only viewed this from the sidelines, but my view that Adobe
developed SVG as a way of reducing the cost of a Flash competitor tends
to have been confirmed by the speed with which they dropped the viewer
after the merger.

I'm only on the sidelines because SVG has totally failed in its early
promise to become a viable mechanism for line drawings on general web
pages.  Although it tends not to be explicitly authored, VML has a
better, but insubstantial, claim to that niche, and is normally only
used for presentational lines.

--
David Woolley