Re: Select a parrent node with s CSS selector?

Yahia wrote:

> I agree. I think it should be put in consideration, since without it, we
> are forced to add extra <div/>s* plus one or two CSS selectors to
> accomplish a desired effect.

I'm not sure if they are still in the draft standard, but many misuses
of DIV for styling can be handled by CSS generated virtual blocks.

> * the advantages of CSS being to make styling possible without
> additional bloat and unsemantic markup.

CSS style sheets have a couple of added design constraints:

- they must be fast to render and to re-render when the document is
   manipulated by scripting;
- features that involve delaying rendering or re-rendering
   earlier content when new content arrives are discouraged,
   although there are an increasing number of violations of
   this particular principle.  (I.e. documents should be
   incrementally renderable without fixups, as far as possible.)

They must achieve these even when used by non-technical authors using
high performance machines.

I think it may also be possible to construct parent selector scenarious
where the effect of applying the parent selector rules is to invalidate
the selector match.