Re: [CSS3] transition effects -why not use proper scripting backed up by the correct DOM methods?

On Wed, 10 May 2006 08:47:58 +0300, Andrew Fedoniouk
<news@terrainformatica.com> wrote:

> Main motivation:  I (as anyone else) would like to be able to
> disable/enable
> transitions and similar effects in my UA.

Good point, but hopefully we still can do this as accessibility aware
authors: When there is scripting turned on, we can provide an option to
turn off all scripted animation while retaining the functional scripting
of the page.

As for when there is no scripting, we should provide basic behaviour
anyway, using styles using a change-class-with-javascript trick; I
personally give the body element a "noscript" class, then turn it into
"scriptactive" using javascript, and provide styles accordingly.

> Having animations defined in script does not allow me to implement this
> feature on UA's level.
>
> I would like for example to be able to stop any transitions (animations)
> on GIFs, etc.
>
> E.g. I implemented transition:image as a special case for
> animated gif's/mng's. It gives two benefits:
> 1) allows to switch animation on/off for
> particular GIF's, e.g.
>    img { transition:none }
>    img:hover { transition:image }
> 2) It makes possible to switch off/on all animation effects for the
> whole view.

I better understand your points now. The paradox in this is that, if
implemented, these will mostly be used by acessibility aware authors,
allowing their users to turn off their behaviour styles using user CSS.
But this is still very easily possible using the current methods as an
alternative.

> Andrew Fedoniouk.
> http://terrainformatica.com

On Wed, 10 May 2006 09:43:42 +0300, Kelly Miller
<lightsolphoenix@gmail.com> wrote:

> While we are discussing presentation/behavioural stuff and
> accessibility, I'd like to bring up a problem I ran into when trying to
> do CSS menus that were accessible.
>
> Simply put, :focus does not work like :hover, forcing the use of
> Javascript to define behaviour most likely to be used by those who need
> the accessibility, and who will likely have Javascript turned off...
> which defeats the point of using it at all.
>
> I think CSS needs a way of detecting states, both on objects and on
> descendants of objects.

I think it is in a User Agent's best interest to try and mimic mouse
actions when providing its users an accessible and alternative solution
when no pointing device can be used. Opera does this really well, for
example, with its keyboard navigation implementation.

--
Emrah BASKAYA
www.hesido.com