Re: "Unknown Parse Mode!" when validating with DOCTYPE chosen to force STRICT mode in Mozilla

Henri Sivonen wrote:

> On Jul 14, 2006, at 01:45, Philip TAYLOR wrote:
>
>> But I want full standards mode with transitional syntax; is that
>> really so unreasonable ?
>
> If you want transitional because you want to use <font>, etc., I find
> it unreasonable. If you want transitional because of things like <ol
> start='3'>, I sympathize.

No, I /don't/ want <font> !!!  But a co-developer still wants
nasty combinations such as <div align="...">, and whilst I fully
share your distaste for such things, it is better to live with
them for now than to further delay release of the templates ...

> If you feel that using the strict doctype with transitional syntax is
> dirty, you could use the HTML5 doctype instead, although I am
> uncomfortable with recommending the deployment of features from draft
> specs.

Indeed so; I would be equally unhappy.

> http://hsivonen.iki.fi/validator/ allows you to manually decouple the
> schema from the layout mode switch.

I'll look at that one : many thanks.

> Still, the difference of the Almost Standards Mode is more likely to
> manifest itself in the page template than in the content you put in  the
> template (assuming that sliced images usually are used for  template
> layout rather than copy).

No, we've very carefully avoided any such horrors in the templates,
although there was one library item (now sadly unused) that
used tables and CSS to fabricate a purely textual version of images
such as the one at :

	http://www.rhul.ac.uk/Resources/graphics/mastheads/search.gif

An example is visible at  :

	http://www.rhul.ac.uk/Search/Root.shtml

for which the relevant coding is :

No images /qua/ images are sliced, but row-heights are clearly critical,
so there might be some difference in appearance between "Full Standards"
and "Near Standards" modes.

>>> (No doctype.)
>>
>> Can't be validated, hence useless (i.e., not HTML at all).
>

> I've always found it intriguing how some people want to validate  stuff
> but deliberately have it render in the quirks mode.

Me too :-)))

** P.