Re: [CSS21] empty inline elements

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 11:30:50 +0100, Bert Bos <bert@w3.org> wrote:
> Not very strong arguments, are they? :-)

Depends on whether or not you want to exit CR at some point ;-)

>>   http://www.hixie.ch/tests/adhoc/css/box/inline/008.xml
>>   http://www.hixie.ch/tests/adhoc/css/box/inline/018.html
>>   http://www.hixie.ch/tests/adhoc/css/box/table/empty-cells/006.html
>> Perhaps it's better for empty inline elements to not generate empty
>> inline boxes.
>
> Why should there be a difference between empty and non-empty elements? I
> don't see why <span>x</span> should have different height and margins
> collapsed).

Spaces are ignored for the definition of "empty element" as well it seems,
except when white-space is set to pre or equivalent. (Same for comments,
processing instructions and the like.)

> Anyway, you'll need empty elements to generate boxes for cases like
> these:
>
>      strut {line-height: 2em}
>      square {margin-left: 1em}
>      another-square {content: "\2003" /* em space */}

> Netscape's HTML extension <spacer> is also an example.

For those you could use inline-block, not?

Anyway, I'm happy to get our behavior "fixed", but I think we'll only do
it after it has been fixed in Internet Explorer and Firefox. We're not
really in the position to break pages.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>