Re: Selector for parent/predecessor?

Anne,

On 22/08/06, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 10:40:55 +0200, Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@x-port.net>
> wrote:
> > The reality, which people can choose to ignore if they like, is that
> > all of the innovation is taking place amongst programmers who are
> > working around the limitations of browsers! Look at Dojo...look at
> > script.aculo.us...YUI...Google's Java to Ajax mapping...all of these
> > innovations are coming about because browsers are years out of date,
> > and don't provide the features that authors need.
>
> Huh?! Aren't those frameworks based on technology provided by browsers?

Obviously. The 'idea' of a browser that combines network navigation
and flexible, 'run-time defined' rendering is extremely powerful for
building applications and viewing documents, so who'd throw that away?
The point is that the software that implements this model is wildly
out of date, and all of the new concepts and innovation that is
emerging, is coming from those building on top of browsers.

So in some situations you'll even find that a feature offered by
browsers is almost completely circumvented. Look at the different
eventing models offered by Dojo and YUI, for example--they don't so
much 'build' on the technology, as replace it, offering things like
deferred attachment of listeners, aspect-style handlers, and so on.

> The problem I see we're coping with the most is compatibility issues with
> web sites because authors rely some browser specific extension. Be it
> Internet Explorer or Firefox.

Ah...the familiar refrain--blame the author. It keeps coming up
doesn't it--if an author uses a feature that the browser manufacturer
has failed to optimise then it's the author that is dumb, not the
programmer who was lazy.

Regards,

Mark

--